The Limerick Greenway Limerick runs for 40km through West Limerick from Rathkeale to Abbeyfeale and on to the Kerry border. The Greenway runs along the route of the old Limerick to Tralee/Fenit rail line, which was constructed in the late 19th century. The rail line was closed between 1975 and 1978 and lay dormant until it was developed into the Great Southern Trail Greenway between 2008 and 2012 by a local nonprofit group. Between 2019-2021 Limerick City and County Council undertook phase 1 of a program of significant improvement works to the route, transforming the route into a high quality greenway linking the towns of Rathkeale, Ardagh, Newcastle West, Templeglantine and Abbeyfeale.
The phase 1 works included, widening, resurfacing, drainage upgrades, replacement of 5 pedestrian bridges, fencing, improvements to farm crossing points and safety upgrade to public road junctions. Following the completion of phase 1 works the Limerick Greenway was reopened to the public in July 2021.
Phase 2 and 3 of the improvement works involve the provision of a number of new bridges and underpasses along the route as well as the provision of additional car parking at key access points.
FT’s role on the Phase 1 works to the Limerick Greenway included detailed design, tendering and construction supervision. FTs’ responsibilities also included:
- Acting as Project Supervisor for the Design Process
- Assessment of the existing route
- Design of Widening works to allow a 3.0m surface
- 120,000m² Asphalt Surfacing
- Replacement of 5 pedestrian bridges
- Redesign of 105 farm crossing points
- Design of safety improvements to 12 public road crossing points
- Design Drainage upgrade works
- Lighting Design
- Utility service location and protection works
- Preparation of Contract Documents
- Tender Assessment
- Construction Supervision
- Stage 3 Road Safety Auditing
- The role of Employers Representative
In additional to the above FT’s role on phases 2 and 3 of the project includes the preliminary design, part VIII planning permission, detailed design, tendering and construction supervision for additional car parking facilities and 9 new bridge structures.
Length of greenway
No. new bridge structures