Director of Waste and Resource Management and Environment
Bernie Guinan has over 20 years’ experience in the waste management and environmental consultancy. . She is the Director of the Waste and Environmental Science Divisions in FT. She has a BSc and a Master’s in Environmental Science. Bernie has completed Diplomas in Pollution Assessment Control and Business Development. She is a Member of the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management.
Bernie Guinan is responsible for the Waste and Resource Management and Environmental Science Groups in FT, overseeing projects in waste infrastructure design, strategic waste management planning, sludge management and statutory consent applications and compliance.
She has extensive experience in all aspects of project delivery from inception through the statutory process, detailed design, and procurement, preparation of contract documents, tender assessment and contract administration to preparation of final account.
She has extensive experience in working with private waste management clients acting in the designers’ role in the preparation of DB/DBO tender submissions.
Bernie has acted as a Project Director for an extensive range of waste and resource management and environmental projects, including:
- Provision of planning advice and expert witness to three local authorities to determine if planning applications and EIS’s submitted were in accordance with the Planning & Development Act, 2000
- Project Director for the preparation of the EIAR, Liaison with the Client and review and approval of the application. The proposed development is for the acceptance of 440,000 tpa of waste. The application is currently with An Bord Pleanala.
- Project Director for the preparation of an EIS and Planning Application under the Roads Acts for the development of 32 KM for Greenway from Glenbeigh to Rennard. The planning application was lodged to An Bord Pleanala in August 2018..
- Project Director responsible for the preparation of a response to the EPA relating to the recirculation of leachate in an MSW landfill. EPA requested classification of the leachate to determine if it was hazardous or non-hazardous. This was the first classification of leachate in Ireland and the UK. Following classification, physical property testing was required in order to finalise the classification. Landfill operator was given permission to use RO on site to treat leachate from this significant active landfill on foot of the classification.
- Project Director for the preparation of an EIS, SID Planning Application and IE Licence Application for a MRF and waste transfer station to process up of 170,000 tpa MSW, brown bin and C&D wastes. The development comprised of a waste processing building, a baled storage building, welfare and office accommodation and ancillary infrastructure including surface and foul drainage. Planning was successfully grant by ABP.
- Project Director for the development of a scrap metal recycling facility (45,000 tpa) an RDF storage facility (45,000 tpa) including pre-application consultations, preliminary design, EIS, Stage 1 AA screening report, flood risk assessment and planning application. Permission was refused by Cork County Council but was successfully appealed by FTC to An Bord Pleanala in 2013.
- Project Director for the preparation of the strategic infrastructure application and EIS for the extension of the life of Powerstown Landfill, Co. Carlow. This site had a complex planning history and required significant liaison with the local authorities’ senior counsel on the most appropriate way forward.
- Project Director Landfill Technical Information Resource for EPA, Ireland. Internal report and WIKI resource for Environmental Protection Agency for reference and training purposes responsible for gas and leachate management related inputs. Internal Agency resource not published.
- Provision of planning advice and expert witness to three local authorities to determine if planning applications and EIS’s submitted were in accordance with the Planning & Development Acts, 2000-2018
- Project Director for the preparation of planning application, EIS, NIS and flood risk assessment for a 14km pipeline route through Dublin City. A dual application to both Dublin City Council and Fingal County Council requiring over three years consultation with various sections of the local authorities on route selection and EIS scoping.
- Project Director for the preparation of the soils, geology, water quality and waste section of the EISs for the Metro North Depot, Metro West and BXD light rail schemes. Role included participation on scoping workshops and preparing expert witness testimony for the metro west and BXD projects.
- Project Director for wetland trials 2016 to 2019 at the Basketstown landfill that have showed it is possible to successfully treat contaminated groundwater arising from leachate from an unlined landfill using a combination of vertical wetland and MBBR technologies. FT on behalf of Meath County Council is currently reviewing mechanisms to implement the findings in accordance with constraints imposed by whilst planning law and waste licence conditions.
- Public procurement and civil/structural design advise in developing the conceptual specifications for buildings and MRF plant on an existing waste site to be procured on a D&B basis for Glasgow City Council. Duties include development of the conceptual site layout to make best use of existing building assets, incorporate existing operational regime, value engineering and traffic assessment
- Project of the Fraddon Biogas Plant, Cornwall, UK. This project consists of the detailed design of an AD facility with gas to grid.