Director of Energy and Planning
Jim Hughes is the Director responsible for the Energy and Planning Department. Jim is a Qualified Town and Environmental Planner with over 17 years’ post-qualification experience in both the private and public sectors. He has extensive experience in EIA and in providing strategic level planning advice to clients and negotiating with and presenting to Planning Authorities and An Bord Pleanála. He is Project Director responsible for renewable energy projects and urban development projects at various stages of development, from inception to planning and permitting, through to construction.
Mr. Jim Hughes has a BA in Public Administration (Development) from the University of Limerick, a Masters in Town Planning from Queens University Belfast and a Higher Diploma in EIA/SEA Management from University College Dublin. Jim is also a member of the Irish Planning Institute.
Jim is a Qualified Town Planner with over 17 years’ post qualification planning experience in both the private and public sector. He has extensive experience in EIA and in providing strategic level advice to clients and negotiating with and presenting to Planning Authorities and An Bord Pleanála. He is also experienced in peer review and preparation of independent planning assessments and appraisals on behalf of clients.
Jim has represented clients at ABP oral hearings and as an ‘expert witness’ at Circuit, District and High Court.
Jim has extensive experience in all aspects of planning is currently leading a number of high profile EIA projects and master planning projects throughout the Country ranging from Renewable Energy, Airport Infrastructure, Commercial, Residential and Tourism proposals. Projects include;
- Lead Planning Consultant on the Dunkettle Interchange Road Project.
Lead Planning Consultant and Project Manager on the Coom Green Energy Park Strategic Infrastructure Development Project.
- Lead Planning Consultant and Project Manager for the upgrade of Waterford Airport.
- Lead Planning Consultant and Project Manager for Moanvane Wind Farm
- SEA and AA Review of the OPW’s Nationwide Flood Risk Management Plans.
- Lead Planning Consultant and Project Director for over 20 no. Ground Mounted Solar PV Farms
Lead Planning Consultant and Project Director for various ancillary grid infrastructure projects including battery storage and grid stabilisation plants.
- Lead Planning Consultant for the 31 km Waterford Greenway Detailed Design
- Lead Planning Consultant for the 32 km South Kerry Greenway EIAr/EIS
Sector Energy and Planning page
Jim has led an extensive range of urban planning and development projects, including:
- EIAR for 800-unit residential scheme, Kilbarry, Co. Waterford.
- Mixed Use Development Victoria Road, Cork Docklands.
- 300-unit residential scheme Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.