Kilgallioch Wind Farm
Energy & Planning
FT were employed by Farrans Construction to act as Civil/Structural and Geotechnical designers on the Kilgallioch Wind Farm Project. Kilgallioch Wind Farm is a development by Scottish Power Renewables (SPR), a unit of Iberdrola. The wind farm has an area of approximately 32km2 with 70km of internal tracks and 96 Gamesa turbines. The 239MW wind farm will power 130,000 homes making it the second largest onshore windfarm in the UK. This land mark project was fully operational in 2017.
The project included the following key elements:
- 96 No. Gamesa (G90 & G114) turbine bases
- 70 km of access road
- Sustainable Drainage (SUDS) design for access roads, bases and hard standings.
- Environmental mitigation designs,
- Crane hardstandings for each of the turbine locations
- Site Supervision
- Substation and Control building design
- Design of culverts and bridges structures
- Assessment and refurbishment of existing structures.
FT’s services covered the detailed civil and geotechnical design of the turbine foundations (providing a number of solutions for each turbine type to optimise construction work, cut and fill, and concrete and steel tonnages), met mast foundation design, drainage, crane hard standings, bridge design, substation design and access roads.
FT was also responsible for the preparation of all civil and structural drawings and specifications for the civil and structural works.
Power 130,000 homes
96 Gamesa turbine bases constructed
Farm comprises of a 32 km2 area