17 Jun 2019
Draft Marine Planning Policy Statement
The introduction of a new national marine plan – the National Marine Planning Framework (NMPF) is a critical part of effecting this transition, as will be the Marine Planning and Development Management Bill, (formerly known as the MAFA Bill).
The NMPF will serve as a parallel to the National Planning Framework, setting out the Government’s long-term planning objectives and priorities for the management of our seas over a 20-year time frame. A draft NMPF is expected to be published in Q3 2019 with the final plan due before end 2020.
The Government is also developing new legislation to modernise elements of the marine development management and enforcement systems. The Marine Planning and Development Management Bill 2019 (formerly the Maritime Area and Foreshore (Amendment) Bill) will, introduce powers for the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government to put in place statutory marine planning guidelines (parallel to statutory planning guidelines under Section 28 of the Planning and Development Act 2000).
The statement sets out the following priorities for an integrated marine planning system.
- An up-to-date, robust legislative framework
- An integrated marine forward plan as a parallel to the National Planning Framework
- Greater awareness and understanding of the marine planning system / marine planning processes
- Transparent and fair decision-making
- Robust Governance and enforcement systems to support quality marine planning outcomes
For more information: Energy & Planning
Please contact the FT Energy & Planning Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.