Kilbarry Residential & Ground Mounted Solar PV Development
Kilbarry is located on the south western border of Waterford City, the site comprises an area of 37.2 hectares of lands zoned for residential and open space. The lands lie adjacent to, and directly connect with, a proposed new distributor road being developed by Waterford City and County Council and funded under the Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund (LIHAF).
FT were contracted by Fewer Harrington & Partners Architects to prepare a Masterplan for the entire site which would reflect a staged development programme and fully integrate with the alignment, drainage and phasing and of the proposed LIHAF road. The masterplan was required to provide a series of phases of residential development which would include provision of a ground mounted Solar Photovoltaic park intended to provide a community based renewable energy scheme. The Masterplan also ensured integration with existing permissions on the lands and conformed to residential density and development standards set-out in the Waterford City Development Plan.
FT prepared the planning strategy for the Masterplan to respond to development plan zoning objectives, the phasing of the proposed LIHAF road and development management of the lands over a 10-year period. FT provided development input for landscape, ecology protection, density, access, and achievement development standards to the masterplan. FT also undertook the design and integration of the Solar PV park into the masterplan. Key features of the masterplan comprised:
- Provision of 855 housing units with a housing mix of detached, semi-detached and multi-unit apartments to be constructed across 10no phases with each phase comprising of between 80 to 95 no units.
- Provision of open spaces, nature areas, walks, pedestrian links and access roads to link to existing and proposed road network.
- Provision of a solar energy park of 3.6ha (up-to c. 3MW of maximum export capacity)
- Drainage infrastructure including pump house and Suds compatible on-site drainage management
The planning strategy involved preparation of an Environmental Impact Assessment report and Appropriate Assessment screening for the entire masterplan project, which would accompany individual planning applications for separate phases of residential development and the solar park.
FT planning services encompassed:
- Preparation of planning strategy
- Pre-Application meetings with Waterford City and County Council
- Masterplan input and review
- Preparation of statutory planning documentation for planning applications of individual development phases
- Preparation of submitted Planning statements on the development phases which encompassed social and affordable housing proposals and responses to community services provision
- Preparation of the EIAR for the project including consultation with statutory bodies and stakeholders in accordance with 2014 EIA Directive and its transposition to Irish law
- Preparation of the Appropriate Assessment screening and Natura Impact Statement for the project
- Review of submitted drawings and design proposals
- Responses to further information requests
- Monitoring of planning application status of individual applications and any relative adjacent applications
- Advice on development contributions and conditions attaching to planning permissions.
Designed a 3.6 ha solar energy park
Combined 37.2 ha of lands zones for residential and open space
Construction of 855 housing units