Director of Energy and Planning
David McHugh is the Director responsible for the Energy and Planning Department and is also responsible for operations across the company. David’s technical expertise is in the disciplines of civil and environmental engineering, specifically renewable energy, sustainability and water services. He is Project Director responsible for renewable energy projects at various stages of development, from inception to planning and permitting, through to construction.
David McHugh leads FT’s Energy and Planning Department and is also responsible for operations across the company. David has 20+ years’ experience as a consultant specialising in civil and environmental engineering. David graduated with a BE (Civil & Environmental), University College Cork and an MBA, Smurfit Business School, University College Dublin. He is a Chartered Engineer (C.Eng MIEI), Chartered Water and Environmental Management (C.WEM, MCIWEM) and a Fellow Professional Consulting Engineers (FConsEI).
David’s technical expertise is in the disciplines of civil and environmental engineering, specifically renewable energy, sustainability and water services. In addition to his technical skills, David has experience with a leading global management consultancy and gained functional experience in strategy, operations improvement and change management disciplines.
David is a Board member of ACEI, the Association of Consulting Engineers of Ireland. He also sits on the Trustee Board of CIWEM, the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management, a 10,000 member professional institution. He is passionate about environmental sustainability, which drives his professional and personal pursuits.
David is the Director responsible for FT’s work in the renewable energy sector, including Onshore Wind, Offshore Wind and Solar projects. He supports clients at various stages of development, from inception to planning and permitting through to construction and operational stages. He has undertaken the role of Project Director for the successful delivery of major infrastructure projects including:
- Moanvane Windfarm Planning Application and Environmental Impact Statement, Co, Offaly – a 12 turbine, 48MW development that received full consent from An Bord Pleanála
- Clondardis Solar Farm Design, Planning Application and Environmental Report, Co. Westmeath – a 22MW photovoltaic Solar Farm that received full consent
David is also responsible for the digital team. FT recognises that traditional engineering services are being augmented by digital variants and has provided business intelligence and database design for digital projects, including:
- Design of an Environmental Management Software tool, Arthurstown Landfill, Co. Dublin, which includes the data capture, database recording with GIS capabilities, interpretation, automatic report generation of all landfill data for licence compliance
- Development of an environmental data management system for the city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, across a range of diverse disciplines
- Environmental Data Analytics for Planning Policy – Tipperary Energy Strategy, Tipperary County Council